Sunday, February 14, 2010

Winter Olympics 2010: Day 5 - On Assignment - Hannah Kearney Portrait Shoot

After getting back to the MPC from shooting the Finland - Russia women's Ice Hockey game last night, my editor gave me a last minute assignment - a portrait session with the first team USA gold medalist, Hannah Kearney. I left the MPC and made my way up 6 blocks to the Team USA House on Seymour.



Hannah was super cool, totally happy and excited about her win in the moguls skiing. However, she has been swarmed since her win with press, interviews and excitement from her Gold medal win, so not much time to make some pictures and only a press wall or the lobby of the Team USA house as available portrait locations.



I ended up borrowing a 50mm f/1.2 and a Canon 5DMKII from my editor Ruaridh, this was a perfect combination with a 580EX flash off camera with a 1/4 CTO warming Gel. USA Staffer Garrett Hubbard was an awesome lighting assistant holding the flash off camera for me [I returned the favor after]. We only had about 3 min. to do the shoot before she had to get another interview - but the setup was great and Hannah was a lot of fun to work with. The medals are really cool, each an individual piece of artwork unique to every medal.



Days have been pretty long - going to bed at 3am, waking up just a few hours later and hauling around a huge pack of gear the entire time, but this experience has been awesome so far and continues to get better.

1 comment:

Alex Giddings said...

That lens is butter. Mmm